Big money doesn't mean big victories

LONDON – Athletes are not immune from personal tragedies or professional failures.
But as most of the world is forced to tighten their budgets, athletes seem to be some of the few professionals not struggling to pay the bills.

Former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo signed a $131 million deal with Real Madrid on Thursday, making him the most expensive player in the world.

A few days earlier, midfielder Ricardo Kaka also transferred to Real Madrid for $92 million.

But while the recession is affecting teams around the world, Real Madrid is resistant.  
Despite published statistics earlier this month showing that English football clubs are in debt, Real Madrid is safe from high-interest loans.  

Back in March, several Premier League teams reduced ticket prices because of the economy. But while mid-level clubs slashed prices, Real Madrid continues to outstrip their opponents in off-the-pitch negotiations.

The news that athletes are continuing to break salary records only show how distant athletes are from regular people. It is the regular people, the ones affected most, who buy new jerseys, T-shirts and tickets. They are the ones who continue to fund Real Madrid’s ability to sign these athletes.

The club’s two newest stars will, in theory, generate enough revenue to pay for their salaries. The economics of the deal should work.

But is it just a competition to show that their budgets are not constrained by the same ties as their English counterparts? Is it similar to the New York Yankees’ quest to sign the most talented players for the highest salaries? Is it fair for teams blessed with financial prosperity to lure and scoop up the best athletes, especially at a time when their rivals make sacrifices?

As fans, we like to believe that the teams with the most savvy management and coaches produce the most championship wins. But if a club can’t afford to sign a player, can it afford to win?

Real Madrid is committed to winning, and if they have the financial ability, does it matter that they set a level of pay their competitors cannot meet?

Though Americans criticize the Yankees, they haven’t won a World Series since 2000. Earlier this year, the Premier League was named the most profitable in the world. But it was FC Barcelona who took away the Champions League trophy.

As they say in England, money can’t buy you love – or victories.