world

US, Costa Rica report swine flu-related deaths

The number of swine flu-related deaths outside of Mexico rose after the U.S. reported its third fatality and Costa Rica its first, but both men who died also suffered from complicating illnesses, health officials said.

In Mexico, the center of the outbreak where 48 people with swine flu have died, most of the victims have been adults aged 20 to 49, and many had no reported complicating factors.

Elsewhere, five others have died while infected with the virus, including the two fatalities reported Saturday, but each of them had additional health issues. People with chronic illnesses usually are at greatest risk for severe problems from flu, along with the elderly and young children.

In Washington state, health officials said a man in his 30s had underlying heart conditions and viral pneumonia when he died Thursday from what appeared to be complications from swine flu. The state Department of Health said in a release Saturday that swine flu was considered a factor in his death.

“We’re working with local and federal partners to track this outbreak,” said Washington State Secretary of Health Mary Selecky. “We urge people to take this outbreak, and the seasonal flu we see every year, very seriously.”

The death of a 53-year-old man in Costa Rica on Saturday was the first involving swine flu outside of North America. He also suffered from diabetes and chronic lung disease, the Health Ministry said.

Previously, U.S. authorities reported swine flu deaths of a toddler with a heart defect and a woman with rheumatoid arthritis, and Canadian officials said the woman who died there also had other health problems but gave no details.

The Costa Rican fatality was one of eight swine flu cases in the country confirmed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Costa Rican Health Minister Maria Luisa Avila told The Associated Press.