Something to be proud of

The Indiana Daily Student has something to be proud of.

Right now the IDS has about 10 employees taking classes, interning and experiencing life in London. These students are abroad through the IU School of Journalism’s Summer in London program.

On Sunday, IDS reporter Sarah Brubeck informed me that she had a little brief about a protest in London because of the civil war in Sri Lanka. She had been out at the protest with IDS photographer Alex Farris, who snapped a few pictures. I was impressed – not because these students work for us, but because of their love for the news and eye for it. They’re in London, but they are still thinking about the news for the IDS. I have to give them credit.

We placed the story in the Nation & World section. In return, we got international news with local bylines.

On that same page, we ran our first “Writers Abroad” column. Students from all majors studying overseas were given the opportunity to apply as columnists for the IDS to share what they’re seeing abroad. The program gives a voice to students outside the journalism school, and I’m looking forward to reading what each of those students writes.

I’m unsure whether the IDS has ever had local bylines in the Nation & World section before, but it’s definitely something I hope sticks.

Thursday’s paper features a column from Arnold Schwarzenegger’s hometown and a British Parliament story by IDS reporter Elvia Malagon. She asked locals in London about their thoughts on House of Commons Speaker Michael Martin’s resignation.

In other news, we had an IDS photographer up at the University of Notre Dame for the Sunday commencement. Even though Ryan Dorgan didn’t get photos of President Obama speaking, he sent in enough photos for a slide show of the protests. We could have easily pulled photos from the Associated Press wire, but we didn’t. And because of that, we got great local content in our Monday paper.

Remembering those we lost

Monday is Memorial Day, and the IDS will not print again until next Thursday. On Sunday, the IDS will be sending three staff members to the Indianapolis 500. Because we don’t publish on Monday, we want to know how you, the readers, want us to cover “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.” We’ll have updates – pending Internet connection in Indianapolis – and we’ll have stories and photos online throughout the week. Is anyone going up to the race? If you are, send us your photos and your stories from the race. Feel free to e-mail us at editor@idsnews.com.

It’s your paper

I won’t ever get sick of saying this: the IDS is your paper.

Got gripes? E-mail us. Got story ideas? E-mail us. Just want to talk? E-mail us.

I want to make time for you, and I’m willing to talk to you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

More