Send us your story ideas

If you’re still in Bloomington, you’re going to notice something much different about this place: There’s no one here.

Things are much different during the summer in Bloomington. At the Indiana Daily Student, we feel it, too.

News is slower and you’ll notice the IDS only prints twice a week. But we can’t let it get in the way of what’s important: you.

We’re a student-run newspaper – for the students, by the students – and I want you to know us. We’re average students just like you are. I’m actually your average college student.

I like ice cream and I have seen every episode of Golden Girls and Friends more than once (maybe that’s not so average). If I could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, it would be with John Lennon. I love The Beatles. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is my favorite meal. There is no real difference to me between Chipotle and Qdoba. The best place in town to get a hamburger is Nick’s English Hut, but the best place to sit, eat and hang out with friends is Mother Bear’s.

One of the most asked questions the IDS staff receives is, “How do I get news coverage?” or “Can we talk to you about our event?” The answer is simple: Just contact us. We’re always looking for story ideas, and we really want to reach out to the community and hear about the concerns you have.

We’re trying to mix things up this summer. We understand that news is slow, but thankfully we realize this, and we’re planning to run feature stories. We’re hoping to keep www.idsnews.com updated constantly. We’re also changing the Nation & World section in our paper. Soon we’ll have students spread out across the globe sending us photos and columns about their experiences abroad. And what this all boils down to is that we’re interested in you. We want to make this paper something that all students are a part of.

I’m easily accessible and I want to talk to you. Feel free to e-mail me at editor@idsnews.com with any questions or concerns. If you have a news idea, just send it on over.

Just remember, this is a paper for the students, by the students. I hope to hear from you soon.