Fashion design certificate students show creations at Rachel's Cafe

Friday evening, senior fashion design certificate students presented their designs through a standing exhibition at Rachael’s Cafe. Models representing the students’ garments sauntered around the exhibition. Thirty-two design students characterized each of their stations with their portfolios, mannequins and models.

Although Rachael’s Cafe has hosted several fundraisers before, Friday’s event was the first time it has been the location of a fashion show. The cafe provided a two-floor layout compatible for a fashion exhibition. However, the mood can be attributed to the circular Asian crate paper light fixtures.

“The light gives off a soft, incandescent luminescence,” said poet and Rachael’s Cafe employee Aaron Casper.

Throughout the affair, attendees floated in and out of the fashion show, filling the room.

While viewing and chatting about the fashion, several guests had a glass of wine in hand and many partook in hors d’oeuvres provided by the cafe.

“I grew up with a fashion designer, my sister, and so it is interesting to see what other people will create,” said senior Marie-Gisele Ngouen.

Besides accomplishing two years of hard work in earning their fashion design certificates, students have also developed their own techniques.

“Coming from a small farm town, my inspiration comes from old rugged barns,” said junior fashion design and apparel merchandising major Casey Heck.

Heck’s Americana-inspired style was portrayed by a red-and-white bustier top. The thin, striped cotton material was flattered by inverted angles and directions of placement.

Cara DiJulio, a junior majoring in studio art, focuses on the backs of her pieces.

“Just like a sculpture, one must adjust every side of the body. Plus, most people put a zipper on the back, which gives it no attention,” said DiJulio.

One of her models wore a gray linen dress, which was influenced by the cover of Iron and Wine’s album “The Creek that Drank the Cradle.” The back was v-shaped, with circular maroon patches on the lower cut to illustrate the tree leaves on the album cover.

When asked to explain why current fashion markets impractical women’s sizes of 2 to 4, while the average woman ranges from size 8 to 12, junior Cheryl Nwokah said, “Beauty has no number. My clothes are designed for healthy women.”

A particular station upon a keyboard, rather than a table, happened to have a portfolio focusing on shoes. Senior Matt Unterfranz, who is now involved in an individualized major program for shoe design, said he attributes his innovative inspiration to drawing on restaurant placemats as a child.

Each portfolio page of design is set on a different restaurant placemat. His portfolio introduction is a picture of an old-fashioned diner with a neon sign saying, “Late Night Designer.” However, some of the letters in the word “designer” are broken so at first glance it simply says, “diner.”

“I think the fashion show went spectacular – the students did an impressive job,” said professor of fashion design Theresa Winge.