Crean speaks at press conference on offseason, building for future

Don’t call it an offseason

Despite the lack of games, the Hoosiers have been working nonstop since their season ended, focusing on strength and athleticism and coming in for individual workouts and open gym.

“If you’re not in it 365 days a year – doing something to make yourself better – you’re going to get left behind,” Crean said.

Building for the future

Crean continues to blaze the recruiting trail this spring now that the program is free of recruiting violations.

His new recruiting tool? Twitter.

Crean keeping APR in mind

After inheriting a nightmarish Academic Progress Rating, Crean said, “everything we do right now has to be APR-driven.”

With two players transferring and academics at a premium, Crean said, “We can’t have any situation where players are missing class.”

A big Ten that’s Bigger and better than ever?

With so many star players returning to their respective campuses, Crean said he expects the Big Ten to be even better than last year.   

Finishing off the Hoosiers’ 2009-10 schedule

The men’s basketball schedule is set for this fall – with the exception of one game.

After a brutal first-year schedule, Crean has loaded next year’s with home games and confidence builders. 

Player losses ‘not a setback’

Speaking vaguely, Crean said he has a “pretty good understanding” why both players left. Among the reasons, Crean mentioned academics and chemistry.

He added that while both players did some good things at IU, he doesn’t expect his team to take any steps back on the court.