world

Muslims still angered by Pope’s 2006 speech

NAZARETH, Israel - A banner across the main square in Jesus’ boyhood town condemns those who insult Islam’s Prophet Muhammad – a message by Muslim hard-liners for Pope Benedict XVI during his pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

The pontiff may have to tread carefully with his visit to Nazareth. Many Muslims are still angry about a 2006 speech in which Benedict quoted a medieval text depicting the prophet as violent.

Even some Christians are nervous that Benedict could stir up trouble for them, worrying that if he says anything contentious about Islam again, Muslims might lash out.

“He must know that every word he will utter will have an impact on Christian Palestinians and religious relations,” said Naim Ateek, an Anglican reverend and director of Sabeel, an ecumenical Palestinian Christian group that includes Catholics.

The banner – clearly visible from the church, which Benedict is to visit – trumpets a verse from the Quran declaring, “Those who harm God and His Messenger – God has cursed them in this world and in the hereafter, and has prepared for them a humiliating punishment.”

The banner was put up by followers of Nazem Abu Salim, a radical Muslim preacher, right next to the Church of the Annunciation.