Man arrested after running from vehicle

A Bloomington man was arrested Wednesday when he ran from his vehicle after being pulled over for making an illegal left turn at a red light.

John F. Harlow II faces eight counts of purchasing three grams of pseudoephedrine, which is often used to make methamphetamine, said Bloomington Police Department Lt. David Drake, reading from a police report. Harlow also faces misdemeanor charges for driving while suspended and resisting a law enforcement officer.

Officer Brian James was driving south on Adams Street on a routine patrol when he noticed Harlow’s blue Jeep Cherokee in front of him turn illegally at a red light, Drake said.

James pulled the car over. Harlow told him he didn’t have his license on him but gave James his full name and date of birth, Drake said.

While James went back to his car to run a license check, Harlow jumped out of the Jeep and James chased him north toward the Internal Medicine Associates: Landmark Medical Center. building nearby. Harlow ran through the building and out a back entrance, where he tried to hide in an enclosure for an air conditioning unit, Drake said.

James approached Harlow, and when Harlow attempted to run, James sprayed him with pepper spray, Drake said. Jon Patrick, who works in the Indiana State Police Methamphetamine Suppression Section, also arrived and charged Harlow with the eight counts of purchasing pseudoephedrine.

Harlow told police he had run from the car because he thought there was a warrant out for his arrest from Marion County, Drake said.

Harlow’s previous charges include an arrest in 2004 for operating while intoxicated. He was also arrested in 2005 for robbing Old National Bank, Drake said.