sports baseball

IU wins 4th Big Ten series

Down 0-1 against Michigan, the IU baseball team seemed destined to relinquish a Big Ten series in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Rather than sulk and drop two more games, it turned the series around with an inspired performance on both sides of the ball. The Hoosiers won the series, 2-1, placing themselves in a tie for second place in conference.

Freshman Blake Monar played a well-pitched game, but was let down by his teammates. He threw for seven innings and allowed six runs, only one of which was earned.

A one-run homer by junior catcher Josh Phegley and 14 hits as a team set IU up for an 8-7 Game Two win that junior pitcher Chris Squires secured in the last three innings. The game was anchored by junior pitcher Eric Arnett, who allowed seven runs and eight hits in a hitter-friendly game.

Arnett (9-1) had his ERA lifted nearly a point by the effort, bringing him to 2.49. Although he tallied seven strikeouts, Arnett allowed eight hits in one of his higher-scoring games.  

Game Three saw fewer runs and mores strikes.

Junior Matt Bashore continued his steady re-emergence in a strikeout performance that saw only one batter score. He gave up eight hits. The Hoosiers were also limited by Michigan pitcher Eric Katzman, who only allowed them to score three runs.

Katzman struck out four batters and allowed three earned runs to touch home plate.

The Hoosiers have continued to perform well in the contests that will eventually decide whether they play in the postseason. At 10-4 in the Big Ten, IU stands within two games of three teams vying for a conference title.