sports golf

IU officials break ground on new golf facility

After watching the football and basketball teams get new facilities, the golf program must have thought it was a good idea. 

The men’s and women’s teams broke ground Wednesday on a new team facility, expected to be completed Aug. 20.

Both programs will move to the new building, which will be built next to the current IU Golf Team Practice Facility. 

The new building will serve as place for the team to gather. The coaches are appreciative of the new building, according to an IU Athletics news release. 

“This is another big step for the golf programs at Indiana University,” men’s coach Mike Mayer said in a statement. “To have a ‘home’ where we can meet, socialize and recruit will be a big asset for both programs. It’s been a long time coming, but our time is finally here.”

The new building will officially begin construction May 4. The facility will have new office and locker rooms, a team room, a study room and a club repair room, according to the release.

“It will definitely be state-of-the-art with the new teaching room, and I am looking forward to August when we can move in,” women’s coach Clint Wallman said in a statement. 

The new building will also include a teaching area where IU golfers can work on their game with the help of technology. IU officials hope to later add an indoor putting green and an outdoor patio, according to the release.