Grading the professor

“You’ve Got To Choose.”

Outside of his work at the Jacob’s School of Music, Professor Andy Hollinden challenges his listeners, like his students, to rethink and evaluate their views and beliefs.

Hollinden’s seventh album, “Grieve For The Living,” sounds like a repellent reaction to his 2006 effort, “Trust Yourself.”

While “Trust Yourself” was a straightforward rock album reminiscent of the Replacements, his latest effort finds Andy singing in a dark room at his keyboard, weathered by life, challenging the status quo.

The album as a whole finds much influence in Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” as well as Beck’s “Sea Change.”

“Grieve For The Living” opens and closes with “Six Of You Identical,” setting the overcast mood.

Like David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, Hollinden often sings with the naivete of a child from the perspective of being taught things countrary to what he has experienced to be true in his life, challenging his listeners to question everything.

“My Teacher Told Me Once” has a memorable and bouncy hook that nicely counters the biting sarcasm of the lyrics.

She’s Exploring Scary Things” opens with some wonderful dark imagery before hitting the bombastic yet gloomy sound of the chorus. “Sell The Songs To Paul” serves as an nice ode to the Beatles with its “Hey Jude” “nah nah nahs” sung by Hollinden’s own family, but also sends a message to Michael Jackson and others who own the rights to artwork that should not be rightfully theirs.

However, not everything on “Grieve For The Living” works as intended.

“Never Talk To Strangers” attempts to have a brooding and majestic chorus, but the message falls flat, and “How Old Am I?” is overly simple and repetitive.

But on the whole, “Grieve For The Living” works as a cohesive mood piece that accomplishes what Hollinden sets out to do: challenge and empower the listener.