When in doubt, streamline that look!

Watching a fashion show is like seeing a fairy tale unfold – with slender supermodels as the heroines and outrageous fashions as the costumes.

The unfortunate truth is that some trends are best left to fairy tales. Remember Jean Paul Gaultier’s cone-shaped bras back in the good old 1990s? That only worked on Madonna.

With countless options to choose from, it is becoming more difficult by the season to pick flattering pieces that will suit your particular shape.

To make it easier for you, we spent hours toiling over today’s top trends and came up with tips on looking skinny without sacrificing style. 

Let’s get to it:

1.One of the most crucial things you should take away from this column is the importance of streamlining. You always want to make a continuous line, which gives the illusion of a longer leg and, therefore, a leaner silhouette. A definite faux pas is leggings that fall short of your boot, giving the impression of a chopped-up leg. A simple fix to this problem is to add tights that match the color of your shoes, creating a longer, leaner look.

2.When wearing jeans keep in mind that lighter and brighter usually equals heftier and chubbier. Gray jeans add to the width of your leg while a dark wash is a sure way to subtract pounds. Heels and boots are a skinny jean’s best friend; flats, on the other hand contribute to a short and squat figure. Lastly, beware of bulky sweaters. When worn appropriately these can really add the “umph” factor to your outfit, but when worn incorrectly, they can sabotage it. Try to pair them with a skinny, body-conscious dark jean or legging. Adding a pair of heels wouldn’t hurt either.

3.Sweater dresses are a tricky trade. Making them work for your body without accidentally adding heft to your shape can be difficult.  This look is best dressed up. Instead of bare legs, use one of our tips and try dark tights paired with a tall wedged boot. Be careful not to get that chopped-legged look by wearing a mid-calf boot or leggings. Or forget about the sweater dress and try sporting a high-waisted skirt with a streamlined top. Complete the look with a corset belt and a pair of simple heels.