Re-elections today will decide RHA winners

With a lengthy Residence Halls Association election and a close race between the Hoosier Compass and Chuck Norris ticket, today’s Ashton Center re-election will be the determining factor of the RHA election.

The RHA executive board could be filled by the Hoosier Compass, the Chuck Norris ticket or a mixed administration.

In this election, the ballots will list the candidates from each ticket, but they will not have a straight ticket option for either the Hoosier Compass ticket or the Chuck Norris ticket.

A mix-match is possible for the RHA executive board if student participation is large enough, said senior Erica Wiley, RHA elections commissioner.

The election will be held from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. today at a table near the center desk
in Ashton Center, located in the main building.

The re-election will decide who will be the RHA executives, and they will represent the residents of campus residential housing.

On March 11, the RHA judicial board decided the RHA executive ballots were not available to Ashton Center residents for six of the nine hours of the elections, which warranted a re-election.

“People of Ashton are being given the opportunity to have their voice heard to a full extent in order to rectify something wrong that happened, which shouldn’t be taken in vain,” said junior Aaron Collins, presidential candidate for the Chuck Norris ticket.

For this re-election, all the poll workers are affiliated with RHA, but the workers are not associated with either ticket, Wiley said.

The Ashton results from the previous RHA elections on March 3 will be supplemented with the new results accumulated today.

“The Ashton re-election will help us know that the votes were accurately counted and represented,” said senior Jessica Schul, presidential candidate for the Hoosier Compass ticket.