Local business efforts awarded at city meeting

Tutto Bene owner Craig Widen, right, presents the Volunteer Award to Kate Perry, center, and her family during Downtown Bloomington Incorporated’s annual meeting and award ceremony Thursday afternoon at the convention center. The Perry family won for its support of the annual Downtown Easter Egg Hunt.

Downtown Bloomington Inc. had its annual meeting and award ceremony in the Bloomington Convention Center on March 12.

Downtown Bloomington Inc. is a cooperative effort between city government and downtown businesses to make downtown Bloomington more hospitable and guest-friendly. Awards are given to businesses for their excellence in categories of restoration, renovation, achievement, arts and music.

The group’s main goal is the betterment of downtown Bloomington. The nonprofit organization is celebrating its 25th anniversary of downtown improvement this year.
The mood was formal but relaxed in the convention center’s grand room. Local business owners said they enjoyed networking and sharing stories with one another. Meanwhile, local band Sarah’s Swing Set entertained the crowd.

The ceremony was introduced by Mayor Mark Kruzan and the awards were passed out by board members and excelling business owners.

“I hope that Bloomington business owners are talking to each other, figuring things out like budgeting and encouraging each other through this economic downturn,” Kruzan said.

Kruzan went on to discuss how improving downtown can bring in more revenue for small businesses. He said the efforts of each small business will in turn benefit those around it – especially those downtown.

Debi O’heran, this year’s Downtown Bloomington president whom Becky Barrick will succeed, presented awards and displayed how proud she was of downtown businesses and the image they give the city.

“I am proud of how well the downtown has progressed,” O’heran said. “We encourage businesses in downtown to strive for excellence and to help us capture the image of Bloomington as city to visit.”

Some of the awards included Best Merchandising (O’Child Children’s Boutique), the Historic Preservation award (Showers Inn Bed and Breakfast), New Development Award (Midtown Lofts) and Downtown Business of the Year (Wandering Turtle Art Gallery and Gifts).

“I am glad to see that our local community supports downtown and the arts by not only appreciating art, but buying it,” said Jamie Sweeney, owner of Wandering Turtle Art Gallery and Gifts. “Art is not expendable. We vote with our dollars, and if you buy art, you are voting for it and keeping Bloomington’s reputation as a Midwestern oasis of the arts.”

Lisa Spencer, owner of Body Balance Massage and Nutrition, said she was a first-timer and a new committee member. Spencer said she was very excited to see fellow business owners’  success, the mayor’s support and the hard work everyone puts in to make the event happen every year.

“I had a great time networking and meeting other small business owners,” Spencer said. “I am glad to see small business owners working together.”

The meeting ended with Barrick’s appointment as committee president. Barrick said she was excited and expects to support all downtown businesses and committee members.

“I look forward to serving the community through this leadership position,” Barrick said. “Together we can accomplish more.”