BeBloomington campaign brings events to better residents, city

The BeBloomington campaign kicks off the spring with eight concentrations and dozens of events for city residents to better themselves and their town.

Bloomington city government will be co-host to events that target its residents on certain focal points: BeDowntown, BeSafe, BeConnected, BeFun, BeCreative, BeGreen, BeActive and BeCompassionate.

According to the campaign’s hotline, events will take place throughout the year around town.

“We have set up the themes to be tied to our city,” said Danny Lopez, communications director of the city of Bloomington. “The eight themes connect with all Bloomington residents.”

One of the many events, which can all be found on the city’s Web site or by calling the BeBloomington hotline at 349-BBBB, will be the 2009 Mosaic Film Festival, which will take place at city hall. The films will be part of the BeCompassionate segment of the campaign. The short films will be for both adults and children, and they will address the issues of disability, image, race and ethnic background.

Craig Brenner, city of Bloomington special projects coordinator, said he remembers organizing the event last year. He said it was successful, but he said he thinks this year it will be better.

“Last year the Dalai Lama was here when we had the festival,” Brenner said. “The event was really shadowed.”

The films will show all day April 4 and 11. Brenner said he expects a greater turnout this year because they had advertisements for the event and a lot of support from the BeBloomington campaign and the city.

“We choose these dates for the festival because that’s when the farmer’s market kicks off,” Brenner said. “A lot of people will be in the region, so I am excited about the prospect of many viewers.”

The festival will also be sponsored by the city of Bloomington, IU Asian Culture Center, IU Latino Cultural Center, the IU Office of Multicultural Initiatives, the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center Library and more.

Lopez said the campaign started in 2006 and is growing this year with its new themes. He said he looks forward to the events.

“Essentially, the target of these events will enhance our community character,” Lopez said, “and gives the city a chance to work with local civic leaders and nonprofits.”