‘60 Minutes’ reporter to speak today

“60 Minutes” correspondent Steve Kroft will return to his home state to give the second speech of the School of Journalism’s spring Speaker Series.

Kroft, who was born and raised in Kokomo, will deliver a speech titled “60 Minutes with Steve Kroft” at 7 p.m. tonight at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Beth Moellers, director of communications for the School of Journalism, said Kroft was selected because of his extensive experience, including his 28-year career at CBS News.

“We’re always wanting to bring the best journalists in the business,” Moellers said. “He has a broadcast background but also a hard news background.”

Kroft has won a multitude of awards for his work on “60 Minutes,” including three George Foster Peabody Awards and 11 Emmys, including one for lifetime achievement, among other awards.

Moellers said Kroft will discuss his interviews, the business of journalism and his reflections on “60 Minutes,” which celebrated its 40th anniversary in September.

“We think the journalism that Steve Kroft does has contributed to the longevity of the program,” Moellers said.

Kroft has interviewed a range of people, including politicians such as President Barack Obama, musicians such as Chris Martin of Coldplay and, recently, Cleveland Cavaliers star Lebron James.

“He’s had experience interviewing some of the biggest newsmakers in the world,” Moellers said.

Though Kroft received his undergraduate degree from Syracuse University, he holds an honorary doctorate from IU.

He said he has been to Bloomington a couple of times, once while in college and once while in the army. Kroft said because many of his friends went to IU, he thinks he knows the campus “pretty well.”

“I always like to come back to Indiana because it’s always fun for me,” Kroft said. “I’m a Hoosier through and through.”