sports women's basketball

Women's basketball hope to bounce back against Iowa

Sophomore guard Jori Davis takes a blocking foul on her way to the basket during the Hoosiers 65-55 win over Penn State Thursday evening at Assembly Hall.

The IU women’s basketball team has only lost consecutive games once this season, and that came more than two months ago.

After a loss against No. 14 Ohio State on Sunday the Hoosiers (15-5, 8-3) will try to avoid another loss as they travel to Iowa City, Iowa to take on the Hawkeyes (13-8, 6-4) today.

If the Hoosiers are to avoid their first back-to-back losses since Nov. 22 they must do something they have not done since Feb. 20, 1994: win at Iowa.

Instead of worrying about the Hawkeyes, who won their last game against Penn State in triple overtime, IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack is staying focused on her team.

“It’s really about us,” she said. “It’s not about who we play, where we are playing – right now we are just a group of ladies that are willing to play anybody, anywhere, anytime. In the alley, in Assembly Hall, at their home court – not because we think we are tough, but because we know the game and we want to be ready wherever the competition takes us.”

This week the competition will take the Hoosiers to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, where the team has a 4-20 overall record.

Before the season began, the Hoosiers had some lofty goals for a group that had not been to the NCAA Tournament since 2002 and won its only conference title 25 years ago.

But accomplishing both goals – making the tournament and competing for a Big Ten Championship – has become a possibility in large part due to the senior leadership and team chemistry.

Sophomore Andrea Mcguirt said more than anything, her teammates are out there for each other.

“This year we are all more together playing as a unit, playing for each other, playing for our seniors,” Mcguirt said. “We have the goals of the team in mind like winning the Big Ten so we are all just playing for a common goal together.”

The Hoosiers have been in a position where they have lost a Big Ten game on the road and had to come back and play again away from Assembly Hall. After Minnesota halted the Hoosiers’ streak at nine consecutive wins, the team came back and beat Penn State on the road.

Sophomore captain Jori Davis said she thinks her team will get back to winning against Iowa.

“Most definitely we are going to bounce back,” Davis said. “We’re a good team. We have to come out and get this win. We need a couple more wins, especially to even get to the tournament. Iowa is good at home so we have to come tough – tough and ready.”

Legette-Jack said this month will be important in reaching goals and that her team must stay focused on the present.

“The journey is too long,” Legette-Jack said. “We got a long month ahead of us. This is the month that makes people’s seasons right here. If we stay present we have a shot.”