Students can meet, greet RHA competitors

The Residence Hall Association is having a “meet and greet” with the two competitors seeking to lead RHA: Hoosier Compass ticket and The Chuck Norris ticket.

The event will provide a forum where students can get to know for whom they can vote in Tuesday’s RHA elections.

The meeting will also give students a chance to review each of the ticket’s agendas, said senior Erica Wiley, RHA election commissioner.

The meeting will be from 6 to 7 p.m. today in the main lobby of the Residential Programs and Services building located at 801 N. Jordan Ave.

RHA is the governing body of the residential halls and is composed of the 11 different governments from each of the dorms.

The association creates programs within the residence centers and works with various other organizations on campus.

The meeting gives the candidates an opportunity to state their platform for about five to 10 minutes, after both tickets will participate in a question-and-answer session.
Each ticket is composed of four candidates: president, vice president of internal affairs, vice president of student affairs and vice president of programming.

Students directly contribute to RHA with a student activity fee of $12 a semester, and by going to this event, students can take an active role in seeing how their money will be put to use, Wiley said.

“RHA is for the students and run by students,” Wiley said.

In the past few years, only one ticket ran in the RHA elections.

“This year’s election is the first competitive election in three or four years, which is a pretty big deal,” said senior Eric Gibson, president of RHA.