Recycle and reuse your wardrobe with a few quick steps

During the Great Depression, fashion was put on the back burner because of the poor economic climate.

Because Americans were forced to ration fabric, fashionable women used their sewing skills to alter their clothes and update them in creative ways to keep up with the trends.

Women today are faced with similar challenges. There are tons of ways to stay stylish on a budget if you can think outside the box.

A few simple modifications and a resourceful imagination are all you need to completely resurrect your wardrobe.

Adding accessories, cinching your silhouette, enhancing old looks with trendier pieces or altering outdated items to make them more modern are just a few tricks you can use to spice up your options.

We came up with a few key ideas that you can copy and incorporate into your own closet.

1. Cinch shapeless silhouettes.
We took a mod vintage shift dress and made it more sophisticated by adding an embellished waist-cinching belt, pearl drop earrings, a cocktail ring and a more flattering luggage-colored platform heel. Have any baby doll or sack dresses from a few seasons ago? This is a fantastic way to update these outdated pieces.

2. Reuse outdated items.
If you still think exposing your muffin top is cute, you’re seriously delusional, because ew. However, you don’t have to donate short tops to Plato’s Closet just yet. Reuse these usually unflattering pieces by wearing them with a high-waisted skirt or pant for a much more flattering look. Feel free to accessorize with bangles, earrings and a killer high heel.

3.Glam up a simple piece.
The last few seasons we’ve been seeing a very simple, shapeless silhouette, but this spring brings a more tailored, accessorized feel. We took a cocktail dress from a few seasons ago and vamped it up by adding a cropped fur coat, opaque tights, patent Mary Janes, a chunky pearl bracelet and earrings. 

Check out local stores like Bella Donna or Urban Outfitters to stock up on fun jewelry and accessories to update your wardrobe, or browse Cactus Flower for some unique vintage pieces.   

Stay classy, IU!