Cut the copycat

Whether you’re penning the next great American novel or just another research paper, here are a handful of tips to get those creative juices flowing

Actress

Find inspiration. 

While preparing for her role in “Dead Man Walking” last October, third-year graduate acting student Lilia Vassileva found songs to associate with the production and characters. Old photos, a piece of art or even a memory can make the most mundane assignments meaningful. 

Search for a good setting.

Though there is no formula for creativity, freedom from distractions is important for almost everyone. “Don’t try to squeeze in a paper during halftime,” says Jonathan Plucker, professor of educational psychology and cognitive science, who specializes in the study of creativity.

Be flexible.

“There’s a lesson we all have to learn eventually, and it’s not easy, but we won’t ever find a perfect environment,” Plucker says. Understand your ideal working conditions and try to satisfy them, but realize these preferences are not laws and will not always be met.

Procrastinate.

Plucker says some procrastination can be helpful. Even though we might be engaged in other activities, we are likely still thinking about the project at hand, he says.

Push through.

When it comes to writing, the best strategy is to push through the writer’s block. (Hey, Ernest Hemingway used this strategy, and he didn’t turn out too bad.)  

Know yourself.

This is the golden rule of creativity. “Everyone has their own way to be creative,” Plucker says, “something that works for them.” Tap into strategies that were successful in the past, and remember what works best.