Andrea McGuirt exudes character

Sophomore guard balances time between Kelley School, honing craft after practices

Sophomore guard Andrea McGuirt attempts a layup under the outstretched arms of a Ball State defender during the Hooisers 84-68 win over the Cardinals Nov. 14th at Assembly Hall.

Sophomore Andrea McGuirt embodies the definition of a student-athlete.
McGuirt, a guard on the women’s basketball team, is a student in the Kelley School of Business and has a 3.9 GPA. 

The Atlanta native came to IU for academics as well as basketball.

“That definitely was a big part of my decision,” she said. “A prestigious institution and then the basketball along with it was just the total package.”

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack likes to talk about a three-pronged approach she calls C.A.B. she uses when recruiting. The letters stand for character, academics and basketball. 

Legette-Jack said McGuirt has great character, something she values immensely.  
“I know the journey is going to be long, and I like to be around good kids,” Legette-Jack said. “The character is so important, and I think that we have a tremendous amount of that on our team.”

McGuirt grew up around basketball. Her father played in high school, and her uncle played overseas. She also has a cousin who played for Notre Dame’s women’s team.

McGuirt played high school ball at Marist School in Atlanta. During her senior year, she averaged 15 points per game and earned nominations for the Wendy’s High School Heisman and McDonald’s All-American team.  

Her freshman year, McGuirt played 19 games for the Hoosiers and scored a season-total 27 points. Despite her low average, her teammates have noticed her dedication.  
“She is a very hard worker,” said sophomore Jori Davis. “Obviously, she is very intelligent on and off the court. She brings a lot of energy. ... She is just a good player we are going to need this year and the next coming years.”

This season, McGuirt’s hard work has paid off in the form of 39 points in 20 games.  
At Penn State, McGuirt connected on three of three 3-pointers in a stretch when the Nittany Lions  looked like they might take over the game. The Hoosiers won 84-77.

Legette-Jack said McGuirt’s calm demeanor relaxes her teammates and keeps them in control. The coach also said McGuirt spends time outside of practice improving her game.   

“She is one of those kids that is always in the gym shooting, making shots,” Legette-Jack said. “She understands that academics come a little easier for her than the game of basketball, so she knows that she has to work on her craft, and she’s here after the last person leaves the gym every night.”

The dedication McGuirt applies on the basketball court carries over to the classroom.  
McGuirt said she wants to attend law school after she graduates to study corporate law. She said she hopes to combine her interest in sports and business and become a sports agent. 

“There is life after basketball,” she said. “Preparing yourself for life after the game is over is important, but I want to do something where I can stay with basketball.”