There are the Cardinals, and then there’s Boldin

His teammates and coaches rejoicing for their upcoming trip to Tampa, Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin chose to ignore his team’s celebration.

As his coach Ken Whisenhunt takes what is arguably the worst-performing franchise in NFL history to the Super Bowl, Boldin didn’t even hang around to commemorate the team’s first NFC championship.

According to reports from the San Francisco Chronicle, Boldin bolted from the team’s locker room just before the rest of his teammates returned Sunday night after celebrating on the field at Glendale’s University of Phoenix Stadium.

Teammate and longest-tenured Cardinal Adrian Wilson’s post-game celebratory tears aren’t even enough to keep Boldin around.

Boldin didn’t want any part in the confetti, the trophy or the never-ending rain of cheers from the bewildered Cardinal fans taking in a moment they likely thought they’d never see in their lifetimes.

Instead, Boldin chose to allow a personality dispute with his coaches and a desire to be traded from the NFL’s most surprising team to override celebrating what many players never get – a trip to the Super Bowl. That dispute in personality also came to light during the NFC title game, when cameras caught Boldin arguing heavily with offensive coordinator Todd Haley during the team’s game-winning touchdown drive.

Meanwhile, wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was on the field and contributing three of his nine catches that totaled 152 yards as the Cardinals marched down the field to Super Bowl glory.

I’d bet the definition of “team player” wouldn’t have Boldin’s mug as the descriptive photo.

Boldin’s problems with the Cardinals began early in 2008 when teammate Fitzgerald signed a four-year, $40 million deal with the team – making Boldin’s current deal of three years and $12 million pale in comparison. Boldin requested a trade from the team as a result, but the Cardinals denied his request despite offering to renegotiate his contract.

Apparently Boldin cares less about winning or making money and more about being No. 1 on a team’s depth chart.

After the game, the Chronicle reported Boldin tried to slip out a back door before a group of media caught the receiver. He denied the issue and said that he gave his “heart to this organization” and that it was “paying off” in the form of a Super Bowl.

Boldin has come back to play again this season after a nasty hit in September that left him unconscious, but the Cardinals might as well just leave their No. 2 receiver at home when they head to the Super Bowl in Tampa Bay, Fla.

When you’ve got the seemingly humble Fitzgerald destroying defenses, the reborn Super Bowl winner in Warner and a running back (remember that guy named Edgerrin, Indianapolis?) taking his new role in stride, things are looking pretty good for a team without Boldin.

After all, do these Cardinals really want to a take back a sulking, back door-departing Boldin? I’m betting not.