Students travel to L.A. in hopes of landing internships

Most IU students spent their second week of school getting back into a routine and organized for classes. But more than a dozen spent it networking with high-end Hollywood profilers. 

The third annual Hollywood Hoosiers trip took place Jan. 19 to 23 and consisted of informational meetings between 15 students and executive contacts from studios, agencies, networks and production companies. Students from the Blooming Artists Agency and the Business Careers in Entertainment Club participated. 

Agency president and senior Jack Shannon said the student-run program is a formal way to help students get summer internships and future careers in the entertainment industry. Shannon said the Hollywood Hoosier Alumni Association acted as chaperones throughout the week.

Shannon was in contact with the Hollywood Hoosier Alumni Association when he decided to form the Agency.

“A handful of alumni put us up in their houses, and we slept in spare bedrooms or on their couches,” Shannon said. “The IU connection is so strong out in L.A., and there are so many people willing to help out.”

Shannon said the students had a chance to meet with several IU alumni such as David Anspaugh, director of “Hoosiers” and “Rudy.” They also met Michael Uslan, producer of the Batman movies; Sue Naegle, president of HBO and Philip Murphy, vice president of operations for CBS Paramount Television.

“The goal of the trip was designed to give students the opportunity to learn firsthand about the entertainment industry and to assist them with discovering what area interests them the most,” Shannon said. “The economy is definitely tough right now, but without this trip, I would never have gotten meetings with this high level of people.”

IU alumna and Hollywood Hoosiers founder Jessica Petelle was very involved with
organizing the trip. Petelle is currently the producer and partner for Drexel Box Productions, and she said IU alumni were excited to open their doors to students. 

“In this industry, you have to be here to really get involved. It’s like a lifestyle in a lot of ways,” Petelle said. “It was reinvigorating because we’ve been working to get Hollywood Hoosiers off the ground the past several years. We’re all in this together.”

IU alumnus Dave Neustadter, creative executive for New Line Cinema, said he landed his dream job after working as an intern, a temp and a departmental assistant.

Neustadter said he’s always looking to get more Hoosiers out to Los Angeles because he believes there aren’t enough. 

“Don’t come out here if you want to make a million dollars or just to go to the Hollywood clubs,” Neustadter said. “If you love movies and really enjoy what a film is, then you should be out here.”

Junior Leila Marsh said she met Shannon through the IU Telecommunications Club and reserved a spot on the trip. Marsh said Shannon has been an inspiration to the group because he’s shown them how many people students can meet through networking.

“Every single person we met said if you have the desire and passion, then you will succeed,” Marsh said. “You can do anything if you’re willing to put your time in and prove yourself because somebody will eventually notice your hard work.”