Open Mic at BuffaLouie’s offers place for student expression

Open Mic Nights. They are here.

From poets to musicians, talented students of all sorts come to Open Mic Nights at BuffaLouie’s to perform on two new stages which were built this summer to accommodate the event’s growing popularity.  

“It’s really unbelievable how many talented students there are at IU,” said Eric Love, director of diversity education and Open Mic Nights co-organizer. “It’s just an incredible mix of rock bands, rappers and spoken-word artists.”

Open Mic Nights began after Branden Scott, co-organizer, brought the idea to Love more than a year ago.

Scott said he hopes students will be inspired to experience something different and that Open Mic Nights “shine a light” on students’ talents.  

In addition to organizing Open Mic Nights, Scott showcases his writing and recites poetry.      

“I kind of use it as a therapy,” Scott said. “I don’t do it for recognition or anything like that.”

Open Mic Nights are free and open to the public. Love said students should not be afraid of being ridiculed while onstage.

“It’s really a supportive audience,” Love said. “No one ever gets booed.”

Chris Tabron, who also performs regularly, uses the stage to express a positive message as a Christian hip-hop artist.

“The big thing for me is I’ve been able to express my faith in God,” Tabron said.  
Tabron said he sees the possibility of a future career with his talent, and he said performing has helped him improve his presence on the stage.

Open Mic Nights are a non-competitive social outlet, so no one receives prizes and no one is formally judged. Scott said students with talent in any area are encouraged to attend.

Open Mic Nights are held at different times each month, so for more information, contact Love by phone at 855-2139 or 855-2155 or by e-mail at elove@indiana.edu.

“If you feel like you want to express yourself in a certain way, come on out,” Scott said.