In promise of hard power (for now)

Israel’s battering of Gaza to dismantle Hamas is a tragic story of the Middle Eastern peace progress. The latest numbers from Palestine show 1,017 killed and more than 4,600 injured. The numbers are growing.

According to Monday’s IDS front page story, 60 students and Bloomington residents took to the streets to protest the war Saturday and charged Israel with “crimes against humanity.” All around the world, Israel’s calculated act of violence has sparked a tidal wave of mourning, anger and widespread condemnation.

But I shy away from condemning Israel squarely. If we take into account the Lebanon war of 2006, where Hezbollah also fired rockets into Israel, there is crystal-clear indication that the same instigation on Israel will spark nothing less than a war.

Hence, based on the premise that Hamas perpetrated the December rocket attacks on southern Israeli cities after a June truce, it seems Hamas had it coming. Thus, I see Hamas as equally accountable for war.

The issue I have with Israel is that its attacks are questionable. The number of civilians caught in the cross-fire is enormous. Even if these losses are totally accidental, the foulest act of Israel has been to block the humanitarian aid to Gaza.

The Arab-Palestinian relationship is truly a warped, convoluted affair, so there’s a lot of blame to be spread around. Nevertheless, in this case, it’s not justifiable that a nation should stand back and witness repeated acts of terrorism committed against its people. America didn’t balk on invading Afghanistan after Sept. 11.

Newsweek recently reported that Israel’s goal in this war is to end the rocket attacks, disarm Hamas and help re-establish the Fatah government so that serious peace negotiation may take place.

Many, however, have claimed that even if Israel’s goal of crippling and disarming Hamas is accomplished, its second objective is a lost cause because the war will serve to reinvigorate Hamas politically.

However, military actions seem plausible at this time because Israel has to take firm action for the national security of its citizens and destroy a Hamas that is clearly not committed to peace and a two-state solution.

For those who decry the war solely for its ideology, I want to highlight World War II. Just as the atomic bombs destroyed Japan even as they saved millions from the brutality of the Japanese Imperialist army and as collective invasion by the Allied forces wiped out Hitler and Nazi Germany, so can this war, perhaps, reap the results of its lofty goals. War is not necessarily a bad thing.

Because of the circumstances of this current crisis, it’s hard to believe Israel can succeed in completely toppling Hamas and winning over moderate Palestinians.
However, the reality is that war is ongoing and little is being done to end it, so I hope that Israel succeeds quickly in its proposed goals because, if not, there would certainly be further chaos in the region.

Those with power will always act for its greater good in the fight for survival. As students, we can offer our condolences to the Palestinian civilians and continue raising awareness of this issue.