Former Black Panther leader speaks at MLK day celebration

Elaine Brown speaks Sunday at the Whittenberger Auditorium as part of IU's Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration activities. Brown, an activist, author, and singer, was the first and only woman to lead the Black Panther Party.

Some Americans might consider celebrities like Kanye West and Beyonce modern-day activists for equality. However, author and former Black Panther leader Elaine Brown said the real activists lie in our country’s history.

Brown spoke on historical events that have changed our country today on Sunday at the Whittenberger Auditorium. Her topics included slavery, industrialization and the Jim Crow Laws, which led up to the main focus, Martin Luther King Jr.

“We are here to celebrate the life of a freedom fighter,” Brown said. “We forget how this country came to be, and history is important to remember. We cannot turn the page until we write the page.”

Timberly Baker, assistant coordinator for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs, introduced Brown and the theme of IU’s MLK Jr. Day celebration to the crowded auditorium.

Baker said this is the 15th MLK Jr. Day the University has taken time off school to recognize the work of the civil rights leader.

This year’s central theme was “The Power of One: Taking Action in a Time of Challenge and Controversy.”

“Brown did an excellent job embracing the genre of action, challenge and controversy,” Baker said. “We need to focus on how we can take direct action as a community.”

Brown asked the audience to look at where society is today and to remember that everyone lives in a global economy. She said 50 percent of the world is poor – and sub-Saharan African countries are the poorest.

“We need to end hunger, poverty and war,” Brown said. “Coalitions are being formed with common-ground issues, and action is needed to be taken to get things done.”

Brown also spoke on our country’s newly elected president, Barack Obama, and his plan for change in today’s society. She said even though Obama is equally black as he is white, he is still considered the first black president.

“Our duty, as Americans, is to use what we know to address things,” Brown said.

Brown’s lecture was followed with a question-and-answer session, where Brown acknowledged the importance of uniting the country as one in order to grow as a nation. She said she believes Americans should use technology such as the Internet, YouTube especially, to address important issues and connect as a whole.

Jorge Wellman, a senior and member of the Office of Mentoring Leadership Development Services, had the opportunity to attend the leadership breakfast with Brown on Sunday.

Wellman said Brown was an inspiration to him because he hopes to one day run for office.

“I need to stop doubting myself as a young individual and start believing I can make a difference,” Wellman said.