Fashion: Why so many fall in love with it

As a business major, I’m often asked by readers and friends why I’m so passionate about the fashion industry.

When I interview for business-related positions, recruiters seem to find it funny to ask if I wandered into the wrong room. Sometimes, even I wonder why I’m so dedicated to an industry in which so many seem to think I don’t belong.

But then I stumble upon the Giambattista Valli aqua-dyed lamb skirt suit with dyed-to-match Saga fox fur trim in a Saks catalogue and fall in love with the fashion industry all over again.

I flip the page and see an immaculate silver/grey silk, duchess satin chinchilla print dress. It’s belted with tights, pumps and a matching silk scarf – worldly.

You complain about the price tag, while I see the many hours that go into creating every designer piece, the quality of fabric and the intrigue of the design.

You say that fashion is cruel, and I say it’s economical. Not only is a fur vest going to keep you warm in freezing temperatures, but you can save on heating expenses by wearing it inside your home.

You insist fashion doesn’t relate to you – well in that case, I just think you’re stupid.
So, as winter vacation rolls around, don’t be afraid to pick up a Saks or a Nordstrom catalogue and splurge on a few pieces. Get that lambswool, tiered Yves Saint Laurent dress you had your eyes on or a Black Tibet lambskin Chanel bag.

Don’t discount the important fact that even designer goods go on sale. So if you shop right, you can find amazing deals. I have a friend who recently purchased a pair of Christian Louboutin heels for hundreds of dollars less than suggested retail price, and her stories only get better and better with each deal.

These deals, however, won’t come knocking on your door – you have to find them. Frequently visit your favorite stores. That way you will be the first to catch your favorite items on sale.

Don’t forget to make a plan of attack. And keep in mind that spring is just around the corner, so start planning accordingly.

There are quite a few spring shows I fell in love with, but none more than Chanel’s spring ready-to-wear. I strongly advise you to take a few minutes and watch the entire fashion show, which can be found on Chanel.com.

Mr. Lagerfeld really outdid himself this time around, and I just can’t wait for the next show. Check out the trend forecasts and style blogs on style.com for spring wardrobe advice and inspiration.

Good luck on the finals, enjoy your vacation and, as always, stay classy, IU.