Economic downturn encourages double-duty shopping

You’ve seen it on style.com, you’ve read it in top fashion magazines and you’ve heard it from me.

If there is one concept that has been mentioned over and over again this season, it is versatility.

From the timeless Chanel suit to a bulky sweater cardigan at Carson Pirie Scott, everyone is thinking double duty this season.

With the economy taking a turn for the worse, the fashion industry is seeing a rapid emergence of the Recessionistas – who are spending less and browsing more.

As one-time wear will no longer do it, consumers are now in search of pieces that can be worn on multiple occasions. Your jacket is an example of a versatile piece. A good quality jacket will no doubt serve you well and last several seasons.

A chic trench can sometimes even be worn as a piece itself, with leggings and a pair of pumps.

A knee-length sweater cardigan is another great piece to have in your winter wardrobe collection.

What I find really sexy are the girls who pair a men’s button-up with a pair of skinny’s, the knee-length sweater cardigan and a pair of cute flats. It’s a very relaxed feel but chic nonetheless. You can take that same cardigan and pair it with a high-waisted skirt or wide-legged pant with a romantic blouse and achieve a professional look.

With a cardigan in your closet, your next step is to invest in a sheath dress. This is probably my favorite piece for the season. It is easy to wear, easy to mix and it is versatile – so much, in fact, that you can wear it to class or to your next formal.

A simple sheath dress paired with a stunning necklace and pair of diamond earrings will grant you access to any fashionable formal, while a belted sheath dress, possibly with leggings and casual pumps paired with a trench looks amazing going to class.
Keep in mind that berry variations are the way to go this season as far as color is concerned.

Jewelry can help change the feel of your outfit instantaneously. Here’s a little advice that will carry you a long way fashion-wise: Silver is just as good as gold, but you need to know when it is appropriate to wear.

Gold attracts a lot of attention, so unless you’re going to a place or an event that requires it, you might rethink the gold choice.

On the other hand, silver has the power to take an otherwise dressy outfit and immediately make it more casual. Take the sheath dress, for example. Throw on some gold pieces, and you’ve got that elegant, dressy feel to your look.

Now take that same sheath dress and add a couple sliver necklaces and silver bangles, and you’ve got that going-to-class casual look. Very different, but they both work.

Of course, don’t forget the essential pieces such as a pair of jeans, wide-legged pants, T-shirts, blouses, bags, etc., but make sure to add the pieces I mentioned above to your collection.

And don’t just buy the first cardigan or sheath dress you stumble upon – be careful in your selection and buy a good quality item, even if it sets you back a couple hundred dollars.

Stay classy, IU.