sports women's basketball

Women's basketball looks to rebound from loss

After an upsetting loss, the IU women’s basketball team will have an opportunity to make a statement Saturday against Middle Tennessee State in a WNIT consolation game Saturday in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

In the Hoosiers’ (1-1) first three games including exhibitions, the team had an average margin of victory of more than 28 points. Then the No. 22-ranked Xavier Musketeers came to town.

After leading for much of the game, the Hoosiers were defeated 62-59 after junior guard Jamie Braun’s 3-point attempt in the final seconds rimmed out in the second round of the preseason WNIT last Sunday.

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack acknowledged her team played well against a quality opponent and is optimistic about its future.

“I think we are playing great basketball in November, and this team we lost to was a March team,” she said. “I think if we keep doing what we need to do, we will be able to play those teams in March and come out successful, so I’m excited about where we are right now.”

Legette-Jack said another reason she is optimistic is that the things the Hoosiers need to work on are correctable, such as blocking out better and shooting a higher percentage from the free-throw line.

Sophomore guard Jori Davis, a team captain, also talked about not dwelling on the loss, but instead allowing it to motivate the team in the future.

“It’s kind of a bad thing, but whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” Davis said. “It’s kind of good to get that loss out of the way and continue on with the season and never let a close game like that slip away again.”

The Hoosiers found out their opponent late Wednesday night – Middle Tennessee State, which lost to Oklahoma 85-65.

In the short time Legette-Jack has analyzed the Blue Raiders, she said they have a great inside-outside game, good point-guard play and great 3-point shooting.

As Legette-Jack has said all season, she likes to focus more on her own team and what they need to do.

“It’s just not about them, it’s about us and what we come to do,” she said. “We got to keep it about ourselves. We are going to still play our matchups, we’re going to still play with intensity and purpose and see where the chips fall.”

The Hoosiers are led this season by a talented senior class, but that is not to say that there are not a variety of players who contribute.

Freshman forward Sasha Chaplin has seen playing time in each of the Hoosiers’ first two games and said she is excited to have the chance to help the team.

“I know not a lot of freshmen get the chance to actually play the amount of minutes that I got to play in my first game,” she said. “I’m just taking full advantage of it and going out and playing hard.”

For the Hoosiers, playing hard and with intensity will be key following a tough loss. Davis said the team is focused on getting better and making progress.

“Everyone has their things they need to work on, and we have been doing it in practice,” she said. “Mostly, it’s about just keeping the energy up, letting this loss go and moving forward.”