Tutto Bene offers quiet study space with fine dining, cafe

For the past four years, Tutto Bene has taken the concept of a traditional cafe and turned it into much more.

When it opened in May 2004, the concept of a “wine cafe” seemed like a good addition to the culinary world of Bloomington. Marci Widen, creative director for the cafe,  said everything they hoped to achieve in a restaurant has become a reality.

“One of our goals was to create a community-based business which would appeal to young adults and older,” Widen said. “We wanted our customers to sit down and share food, wine and conversation in a pleasant atmosphere. I think we have accomplished that.”

Tutto Bene is an eclectic atmosphere well known for its small plate style appetizers but also for featuring an extensive menu throughout the day. Its multiple uses as a building sets it aside from other restaurants. In addition to being a wine cafe, Tutto Bene is also an art gallery.

The work of local artists is always on display in the cafe, but artists will often come back and ask to have their work featured in Tutto Bene’s green room for several months. However, the cafe as a whole is essentially a gallery. The walls are adorned with paintings, and artists make the tables as well.

Amanda Kohl, a third-year master’s student at the Jacobs School of Music, has worked at Tutto Bene for more than a year and said it is one-of-a-kind.

“I am so proud of the unique nature of Tutto Bene,” Kohl said. “It really is an all-encompassing experience, and if you’re looking to expand your palette, this is the place to be.”

Another distinctive feature Tutto Bene offers is that everything, right down to the water glasses on the table, is for sale.

While any experience at Tutto Bene is supposed to be special, Kohl said, the restaurant’s mission is to be a relaxing environment for a wide range of people.
Senior Brittany Gaalema said she thinks Tutto Bene is a perfect place for students looking to escape the stresses of school.

“I think it’s a great idea because after a long day of classes, students want to go somewhere where they can relax and unwind, and this seems ideal,” Gaalema said.
Tutto Bene also offers a list of special events featuring its staff members’ talents, many of whom are music students. Coming up on Dec. 14, Kohl and Will Hearn will perform.

“These events are so much fun because we get to show off how talented our staff is,” Widen said. “But also, it’s always great to hear that not only did guests have a great time, but they enjoyed our space and our staff.”

Tutto Bene is open to anyone who is looking for an extravagant evening or just a place to sit and study over a cup of coffee. 

“We want students to know that it’s an approachable place and a welcoming environment,” Kohl said. “Mainly, it’s just a unique atmosphere that you can make your own.”

Tutto Bene
Located at 213 S. Rogers St., at the corner of Third and Rogers streets
Visit www.bloomingtonwinecafe.com for hours, menu and jazz schedule.