Student season tickets still on sale; 4,000 unsold seats open to public

IU junior forward Steven Gambles grabs a rebound for the Cream team during a scrimmage during the "Haunted Hall of Hoops" on Oct. 31 at Assembly Hall. The team will open the season with a game verses Anderson at 7 p.m. tonight at Assembly Hall.

With the team’s home opener just more than a week away and reportedly 4,000 student season tickets still unsold, the IU Athletics Department has announced it has begun to sell the leftover tickets to the general public.

The original deadline for students to purchase season tickets passed on Oct. 6, but the athletics department extended the deadline in hopes of selling more. IU has already sold out its allotment of tickets for public renewals, faculty and staff.

With an “inventory” of unused student tickets, IU will now make the 4,000 or so tickets, primarily located in the balcony, available to the general public through Ticketmaster. Students will still be able to purchase season tickets throughout the season.

In a one-on-one interview with the Indiana Daily Student on Oct. 22, Crean stressed the importance of the student fan base.

“There really has never been a student body that I could think of anywhere in the country that is going to be needed more than us as we go through these first few seasons here,” Crean said.

The general public will have to pay more than twice the amount students would have paid for the tickets. Student season tickets cost $210, while the public can now purchase the seats for $451.

Crean said late last month that he was discouraged with the student season ticket sales.

“I don’t think they are where they should be,” Crean said. “I don’t want that to become a disappointment because we might be disappointed in the short term. But the students who don’t get them – or don’t choose to buy them – are going to be disappointed in the long term.”

Now Hoosier fans who haven’t been able to get tickets in the past, or are on long waiting lists, will get a chance to buy tickets that typically wouldn’t be available.

Crean said in the press release that this is a “great opportunity for someone who maybe hasn’t had the opportunity before to become involved with our program the ground up.”

Students can still purchase the tickets as well for the $210 price. Additionally, students can buy the tickets on a per-game basis for $15, as opposed to $23 for the general public.