Make a lasting impression with a great dress

The holiday season is around the corner, bringing with it fancy parties, social gatherings and everything in between.

No matter where you decide to make an appearance, it is of the utmost importance that you look your best, and this season you have plenty of options.

Before we get to the good stuff, it’s important to go over the essentials of a put-together party outfit. There are several classifications of evening wear, but for simplicity’s sake, I will talk about casual and dressy.

A casual cocktail usually means you’re going to someone’s backyard or perhaps your friend’s house for a small gathering, so an Oscar de la Renta gown might be a bit too much.

I suggest separates. Items such as skinny jeans or pencil skirts will work wonders for the bottom half, with a silky or ruffly top to complete the look. A casual cocktail outfit can set you back as little as $100 if you shop right.

Bloomington offers a wide variety of venues for this type of occasion, including Express, which offers a number of trendy tops at affordable prices. You can also check out some of the locally owned boutiques that carry stylish skinny jeans in dozens of washes and styles.

There are basically no restrictions when it come to accessories in this instance – pearls, statement rings and small bags are all acceptable. Just remember to match and keep it trendy.

An event taking place in a ballroom or a rented venue usually requires something dressier than a pair of jeans and a top.

Sequins, ruffles, bows and ribbons are what you’re shooting for. Regardless of the cut you choose, it needs to be glamorous. For a more conservative look, go for a Valentino or an Oscar de la Renta design. With these elegant, stylish dresses, you will be the center of attention at any party.

If you want to skip classic, or if the event is on the less “conservative” side, then opt for designs from Versace, Roberto Cavalli and similar designers. BCBG also offers party dresses for a fraction of the price of other top designers, so if you’re strapped for cash, that’s a good option.

Keep the accessories to a minimum, especially if your dress is over-the-top. For shoes, a classic heel or a strappy sandal is acceptable while boots, especially knee- or thigh-high, are unacceptable with a cocktail dress.

Glam evenings are a great way to network and make lasting connections, and as college students, we know the importance of making great connections.

Having a great dress that stands out for its remarkable design and style will ensure that you stand out from the rest of the crowd. And who doesn’t love the feeling of being the best dressed?

Stay classy IU.