Giving thanks to pop culture

The best things in entertainment to be thankful for this year

We are a week away from Thanksgiving, and there are many things to be thankful for.
I have been blessed with wonderful friends and family, but also to have spent four memorable years at this special university.

On another note, I am grateful for some of the great pieces of entertainment that have been given to us this year. Here are five things that are close to my heart.

The resurgence of superhero movies

One cannot think of 2008 without thinking of “The Dark Knight.” The shroud of mystery surrounding Heath Ledger’s death and the online buzz made this the most-hyped movie in quite some time, and it lived up to all of it and more.

I am thankful to Christopher Nolan for making a superhero movie that transcended the genre to make a truly powerful film, and for Heath Ledger for providing us with the performance of a lifetime.

But that wasn’t the only great superhero movie. Following a few years of bad sequels (“Spider-Man 3,” “X-Men: The Last Stand”) and even dumber comic book heroes (“Ghost Rider”), 2008 provided us with “Iron Man,” “Hellboy II: The Golden Army” and “The Incredible Hulk.”

I am thankful for Robert Downey Jr. for making Iron Man the most amusing movie of the year and thankful for Edward Norton for staying true to the comic books and for making up for that abysmal Ang Lee “Hulk” film from a few years back.

Internet television

Even though Internet television was invented a few years back, 2008 saw streaming television shows on the Internet explode into a major phenomenon. Since I am TiVo-less, it is great to be able to watch almost any TV show at any time with full seasons archived so I can catch up if I haven’t consistently been watching.

Whether it’s watching “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia” episodes from seasons past or watching the episode of “The Office” I missed from the night before, TV online is a great convenience for everyone, and I am thankful for it.

Bands hitting the road

Although bands are finding it difficult to thrive in a changing music industry, in many ways fans have reaped the benefits of these hectic and confusing times. With the value of hard copies of music falling because of digitization and the ease of sharing, bands have been touring more than ever to make up for lacking album sales.

In turn, there are more concerts to attend than ever before. Music festivals are sprouting up all over the world, and venues are filling up dates rapidly. For all the unforgettable shows I have been to this year, from the Roskilde Festival in Denmark to the TV On The Radio show in Indy, I am thankful.

Political satire at its finest

Although I am certainly thankful for being a part of this important and historical time in American history, I am also thankful for the political satire that has sprouted from it. “Saturday Night Live” always seems to be at its best during a presidential election season, and this year was no exception.

Tina Fey’s Sarah Palin impression was so hilariously spot-on, and the political debate skits were as funny as ever. “The Daily Show” delivered as always and took full advantage of the race aspect of the election. “The Colbert Report” found its footing again after a marginal slump by commiserating with the GOP.

The arrival of the Big Ten Network

The huge Comcast/Big Ten Network debacle finally came to an end this summer, and I can finally get all the Hoosiers coverage I could ever want in the comfort of my own home. No more going to overcrowded sports bars to watch IU basketball away games, and I can even watch our Hoosiers play sports that don’t usually get covered.

I am thankful that if I need a break from all of the ACC and Big 12 football shenanigans on ESPN, I can go to the Big Ten Network and here about just our conference.

Those are only five of the things I have been grateful for this year in entertainment. While these things are nowhere near the importance of the several other blessings I have received, these slices of entertainment have added a little joy in my day-to-day life.