sports volleyball

Urgency strikes volleyball team after 3 consecutive losses

IU sophomore Ashley Benson spikes on Ball State sophomore Hannah Sullivan during the TIS Bookstore Invitational on Aug. 19 at University Gym. IU swept Ball State 3-0.

The IU volleyball team will finally get the luxury of facing an unranked team in the Big Ten.

But even though it’s not ranked, Michigan State is a formidable opponent, carrying a 10-3, 2-0 record and a 10-match winning streak into Friday’s contest.

IU sophomore Taylor Wittmer, however, isn’t impressed.

“We are going to win this game and come out on fire,” she said.

Even though she hopes for the same outcome as Wittmer, IU junior Kelsey Hall was a little more laid back in her prediction, admitting the opposition is tough.

“Every team in the Big Ten is great,” Hall said. “Going out every night, we are going to play top competition, but we hope to get the win.”

IU has dropped its first three Big Ten matches to No. 20 Illinois, No. 19 Purdue and No. 1 Penn State and sits at 0-3 in the Big Ten.

The Hoosiers were competitive in each match, however.

In the most recent contest against the defending national champion Nittany Lions, the Hoosiers lost 25-17, 25-18, 25-19. The Hoosiers were on top for most of the third set, though, and carried a lead as late as 18-16 before Penn State took over.

Against Purdue, IU lost in five sets in front of an energetic and nearly sold-out crowd at University Gym.

Against Illinois, IU took the first set before dropping close contests in the final three sets.

Friday’s match begins at 7 p.m.

After Friday, the Hoosiers head to the road for matches against Minnesota and Iowa Oct. 10 and Oct. 11, respectively.

Wittmer knows this match is imperative for the Hoosiers postseason chances.

“We have lost to three Big Ten teams already,” she said. “It is unacceptable if we want to go to the NCAA Tournament to lose four in a row.”