This winter, many Hoosiers will qualify for part of a record amount of government assistance to help them pay heating bills.
Indiana’s $103.7 million share of the Energy Assistance Program and $2.5 million kept in a contingency or reserve fund will be allocated to various Community Action Programs across the state, according to a press release from the Office of the Governor.
The increase was due to rising heat costs, according to the press release.
The Community Action Programs began accepting applications on Oct. 6, when Gov. Mitch Daniels announced the amount. Families with incomes up to $31,800 and individuals with incomes up to $15,600 can apply, said Mark Young, chief operations officer of the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority, which oversees the Energy Assistance Program.
Last year 160,000 people qualified for assistance, Young said. This year the agency expects to serve more people because of increasing heating and utility costs, he said.
About $320 was given to each household last year, according to the release. That amount is expected to rise 30 or 40 percent to about $416 to $448 per household, Young said. The assistance is only meant to be a supplement for those who qualify. However, if someone using the program gets behind on his or her payment, the heat will not be turned off.
Each CAP agency has a different way of taking applications, Young said.
Generally, however, anyone interested needs only to provide a current energy bill and proof of income, Daniels said at a press conference.
For more information, contact the local South Central Community Action Program at 339-3447.
State receives record amount to help with heating bills
As winter approaches, government prepares to alleviate rising costs
Get stories like this in your inbox
Subscribe



