Shed that old skin

Gabrijel Gelic is a sophomore majoring in finance.

This fall is the perfect time to let your wild side loose while still looking polished and sophisticated.

Exotic leathers and skins instantly upgrade any look, and this season the runways are jam-packed with luxurious crocodile and snake skins.

Put away those straw totes and lightweight canvas bags. Pick up an oversized exotic skin tote – a top trend this season. The Nancy Gonzalez gathered croc shoulder bag is great to take from class to class, while the Carlos Falchi’s pleated python shoulder clutch is your best bet for those glam evening gatherings – small enough to carry around with ease, but big enough to store all your nightly needs.

The Armani Collezioni featured an immaculately designed leather crocodile-embossed silver jacket. This versatile piece can be worn with denim for a casual look or a pant for a dressier look. Design houses such as Oscar de la Renta and St. John all joined in on this exotic fun by designing cardigans, jackets and tops accented with crocodile.

The Ralph Lauren metallic python skirt is to die for. For a devastatingly fashionable look, this exotic piece is best paired with a romantic blouse and a pair of Sergio Rossi python gladiator sandals. Another great piece from the Ralph Lauren collection featured a python foil vest with a cleaver mix of fur accents.

Bomber jackets are huge this fall with practically every designer having a variation of sorts. The Dolce and Gabbana variation featured a sporty bomber jacket that looks great paired with a skinny jean and a pair of pumps. The St. John print bomber jacket variation is more on the colorful side and looks great with a dress pant and a pair of patent heels – classy and conservative.

But don’t stop with your clothes.

Exotic skins have also crossed over to home decor. The crocodile-embossed vanity accessories available at Neiman Marcus look great with those snazzy Fendi crocodile linens – mix and match!

While exotic skins are a great find this season, just like with fur, they will set you back a couple if not a few thousand dollars. If you’re not ready to throw away those college savings at a pair of Sergio Rossi python sandals or a Nancy Gonzalez python satchel, then go for an exotic belt, wallet or even a key-chain accessory. These more affordable pieces will instantly glamorize your fall outfit and upgrade that look.

Go for a Miu Miu crocodile-embossed belt or the fabulously devilish Guanti python gloves available at Neiman Marcus. Even watches with exotic wristbands are now available and hugely popular.

Bloomington, with its diversity of fashion and people, is a great place to try out these new, up-and-coming fall trends. I look forward to seeing more “skin” on the IU campus in the upcoming months.

Stay classy IU.