Patent or printed, exotic or classic: Just make this season’s shoe fit

The city that never sleeps is also the city that never disappoints when it comes to fashion.

Of course, I’m talking about New York.

Last weekend, I took a trip to the fashion mecca to relax and recharge my fashion batteries.

There is nothing more inspiring than standing at Times Square midday on a Friday and watching the endless array of vastly different ensembles. It’s breathtaking.

Wondering what captivated me most this time around? Shoes.

If you didn’t know, I love shoes. I enjoy a well-designed shoe, and NYC provided plenty of them.

I saw stilettos, Mary Janes, ankle boots, lace-ups, knee-length boots, thigh-high boots, sandals, flats, wedges, sneakers, platforms, loafers and more. Naturally, many of the shoes I saw were simply disastrous and lacked any sensibility, but it was great to see variety.

It is important to know that when you are presented with a wide variety of choices, you must be selective. Going around in ripped boots, fishnets and a mini doesn’t exactly scream sensible or fashionable.

The color palette for this season is as diverse as the Times Square signs at midnight – from a simple black pump to a multi-color, hipster-like sneaker.

We’ve seen statement bags, statement necklaces and even statement belts, but this is the season of the statement shoe, and that signals the return of the spectator shoe. This bold shoe looks great with a wide-legged pant or a pair of opaque leggings.

Patent is also big this fall. Be it black, blue or pink, it does not matter – what matters is that you own a pair of patent heels.

Along with patent, the runways have also seen plenty of exotic skins. The look was a big hit at Donna Karan’s NY collection. It included skins such as crocodile and python in fall’s most popular shades of shiitake, dark gray and pewter.

In addition to a simple black heel, which is always a yes, patterned heels are also in. Check out the Yves Saint Laurent snow leopard print shoe – it is to die for!

For more of the retro-edgy look, the cone heel pump is one of the trendiest shoes this season and Sergio Rossi offers it in a fabulous giraffe print.

An overlaying theme this season is the peep-toe. I’ve seen boots, gladiator heels and stilettos all peep-toed, so if you want to stay within those safety boundaries, a peep-toed, black stiletto is your best bet.

It looks like you will be able to keep those wedges for yet another season – I’ve seen them in many of the shows, even platform wedges!

If you’re not a heel girl or just can’t pull them off, then you will be glad to hear that flats are still in style, especially metallic for fall. Just as with wedges, you can unpack them from your fall closet and rewear them.

This is why fashion is so great – there is something out there for everyone.

Now go out there and shop your little hearts out. And remember, always stay classy, IU.