Libertarian Andy Horning appeals to undecided voters

Libertarian candidate for governor Andy Horning answers a question from debate moderator Tom Cochrun during the final gubernatorial debate Tuesday night at IU Auditorium.

IU students’ opinions on Tuesday night’s gubernatorial debate at the IU Auditorium are as different as the candidates they support. But students interviewed could agree Libertarian Andrew Horning – who in the past has complained about a lack of equal coverage – left his mark on the audience.

Horning attacked Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels, Democratic candidate Jill Long Thompson and the parties they represent at the last of three debates which took place Tuesday night.

Undecided voters and sophomores Eli T. Drumm and Josh Hall said they attended the debate without knowing who they were going to vote for.

“I was very impressed with Horning’s knowledge of government, and it really seems he’s read a lot and has a very formulated and philosophical view of government,” Drumm said.

Hall said it’s refreshing to see new opinions rather than usual talking points.

“Jill and Mitch seemed to just both go for the jugular – typical partisan politics,” he said. “Really Andy Horning impressed me the most because he just took a step back.”

Horning has repeatedly said throughout the campaign that his platform is the Indiana Constitution.

Anna Strand, president of IU College Democrats, said that while Horning presented himself and the Libertarian stance well, he said little about what he would do as governor.

“He did not say how that would be applied to running the state of Indiana,” Strand said.

Sophomore Amy Stansfield, a Bloomington organizer for Daniels, said it was nice to hear a more personal side of the candidates.

“They focused more on the character of the candidate rather than just flat out what you plan to do with education and all these pointed issues,” Stansfield said. “Character can make a big difference in how people end up seeing the candidates.”

But for an undecided voter like Hall, Horning’s ideas found an eager listener.

“I think he persuaded me that voting for somebody is not just who I want in office,” Hall said. “It’s a part of what I believe as a person and it’s a part of who I am.”

Tom Cochrun, former Indianapolis TV broadcaster, moderated the event, which lasted an hour and was broadcast throughout the state.

Tuesday night’s debate was less formal than the previous two. Candidates sat together at a table rather than stood at podiums and Cochrun’s questions were more about getting to know who they were as individuals.

He asked about the biggest setback in their lives, the role of government, their moral codes and influential people in their lives.

Strand said that while the atmosphere was more relaxed, the candidates still could have focused more on topics such as education, a green economy and health care.

“It was a conversation,” she said, “but I think it could have been a conversation about policy.”