Indiana special session postponed to July 25

Demonstrators hold up signs June 27, 2022, in front of the Monroe County Courthouse during a protest for reproductive rights following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. Governor Eric Holcomb announced Wednesday that the special legislative session to determine the future of aboriton access in Indiana will be postponed to July 25, according to WTHR.

Governor Eric Holcomb, Speaker Todd Huston and Senate Pro Tem Rodric Bray announced Wednesday that the special legislative session to determine the future of aboriton access in Indiana will be postponed to July 25, according to WTHR. The session was originally scheduled to begin July 6. 

Expecting a multi-week session following the overturning of Roe v. Wade last week, Republican lawmakers asked the governor to push the session back three weeks. 

The original purpose of the session was to consider Holcomb’s plan to deliver $225 to each resident, which would come from Indiana’s $1 billion budget surplus for the year. Holcomb called on legislators to consider abortion laws June 24. 

Indiana is expected to ban abortion with few exceptions, according to experts. Many lawmakers have expressed their intent to ban abortion, and 100 Indiana lawmakers signed a letter to the governor asking for a special session March 8.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.