Create looks that are cheap yet chic: dress designer on a budget

Designer pieces are the most coveted items in the fashion industry, but unless you’ve got the big bucks, you won’t last long in the shopping rings of top design houses.

Design powerhouses offer the latest styles, the highest quality and the prestige of their name. And that, of course, comes with a high ticket price usually around the thousand-dollar mark.

In the fashion industry, everything eventually ends up in discount department stores and that is good news for fashionistas on a budget. The runway styles will be replicated and tweaked by lower-end retailers and sold for an affordable price, meaning everyone has access to fashionable pieces.

Trendy retailer H&M is always one step ahead with its edgy Euro-inspired collections for men, women and even kids. Leggings, accessories, sweater dresses, cardigans and scarves are just a few of the pieces H&M offers, and they all come at amazing prices. A well-designed and crafted dress cardigan will only set you back about $50 – a bargain price compared to designer cardigans.

When I wear H&M, I’m always complimented on that particular piece, and everyone immediately assumes it’s designer. I love the feeling of knowing I found a great piece at a bargain price.

For a sophisticated look for both men and women at a bargain price, there is no better place than Banana Republic. The silk kimono-sleeve knot top and the ruffle-tie neck blouse are among my favorite tops this season, and Banana Republic has plenty of them. Sweater-dressing is a top trend at the retailer. Check out the merino wool belted sweater dress for $98.

In the mood for print? The leopard print sweater dress will satisfy that need at a bargain price.

Banana Republic offers jeans, pants, accessories, dresses and shoes, so you’re bound to find something. For an even more sophisticated look, check out the BR Monogram collection, which features higher-end clothing for men and women.
For more affordable chic pieces, check out retailers such as Carson Pirie Scott in Indianapolis, Express and even Marshalls – if you dig around enough you’re bound to find a piece or two you like.

Local shops such as Pitaya and Cactus Flower offer fashionable pieces at great prices, so make sure to pay them a visit.

This not-so-new philosophy of cheap and chic has many people thinking it’s still impossible to look designer for smaller price tags – well I’m here to tell you that you’re very wrong, my friends.

How many times have you come across, “look like you just came off the runway for bargain prices” slapped across a page of your favorite magazine? Plenty, I’m sure.
As a student, why spend $2,000 on a sweater when you can get the same one for $70 at Banana Republic or H&M? I always say a smart shopper is the best shopper.

Stay classy IU.