Two women arrested for stealing a purse near Kirkwood Avenue

Two Bloomington women were arrested for robbery and theft Wednesday night after stealing two purses earlier that evening at knifepoint.

Amanda Harrison, 19, and Alexis Rivera, 20, admitted to the robberies after being interviewed by police, Canada said, reading from a police report.

Officers responded to a report of a robbery at about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in the alley next to the Village Deli on Kirkwood Avenue. The victim reported she felt Harrison grabbing her purse and turned around to find the suspect demanding her purse while holding a silver knife.

The suspect also demanded the victim’s cell phone before heading west in the alley toward the Monroe County Library, Canada said.

A witness saw another woman hiding in bushes near the alley and later identified her as Rivera.

Police found the contents of the victim’s purse inside Harrison’s purse plus another victim’s information who told them her purse had been stolen earlier that night.

The second victim told police Rivera had distracted her while Harrison stole her purse.
Harrison and Rivera were found together near the library by officers, although Harrison had changed her shirt, Canada said.

The women said they did it for “blunts,” and Harrison was arrested for paraphernalia after officers found a smoking device in her purse, Canada said.