The Donkeys live well

The Donkeys wish shirts that look like tablecloths were back in style

California natives The Donkeys are what Bloomingtonians need to listen to while we can still enjoy the days before the winter freezes our good mood.

The Donkeys sound like your best friends jamming on your porch, singing about everyday things we all can relate to. It’s a brand of rock ’n’ roll that’s very much alive and well.

I haven’t come across a band so capable of being universally liked since The Arcade Fire.

The breezy, yet quirky guitar rhythms settle like a comfortable feeling with the album’s intro “Gone Gone Gone.” The opener then transitions to the catchy “Walk Through a Cloud.”

But perhaps the best track is “Excelsior Lady,” a sexy sing-along jam that is sure to be a crowd pleaser. The lyrics, like most on the album, are simple and universal, yet detail-oriented. Take an example from “Lady”: “Are we lovers, or we just friends / Oh I believe, oh I believe, I’m in love again.”

Casual music listeners will love the pop sensibilities, stoners will love the psychedelic grooves and music lovers will just appreciate that they can dance along or chill out to this album.

Oh, and your parents will be reminded of everything from Crosby Stills, Nash & Young to The Grateful Dead.

It’s taken The Donkeys four years to finally release Living on the Other Side, and it’s safe to say it's worth the wait.