Nochta impressive in New Mexico; IU 9th

Junior Laura Nochta had a summer of firsts.

In the Women’s Ohio State 85th Amateur Championship, Nochta carded her first round under 70, with a course-record 67. A few days later she recorded her first hole-in-one.

In her first tournament of this season she also excelled, shooting a 2-under-par 217, which was good for a tie for fourth place.

Nochta’s strong finish helped propel the IU women’s golf team to a ninth-place finish in the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational at the New Mexico Lobos’ Championship Golf Course in Albuquerque, N.M.

IU coach Clint Wallman came back to the place he called home from 2002-2004 as an assistant coach with New Mexico.

Wallman said he thought overall the team did a lot of positive things, and Nochta had a great tournament.

“Her ball-striking was phenomenal, and she had good putting,” he said. “Overall, it was a solid event for Laura.”

Wallman’s old squad captured the team title with the only under-par score of the tournament, a 4-under total of 872.

Pepperdine finished second with 876, while UNLV rounded out the top three spots with an 889. The Hoosiers shot a 38-over-par collectively, for a total of 914.

Nochta, who steadily climbed up the leader board after being placed in a 10-way tie for 14th after day one, said she took advantage of her opportunities and played smart all weekend.

“I felt the course was a good setup for me,” Nochta said. “I never put myself in bad spots on the golf course.”

Nochta, who started the final round on the 10th hole, was one-over-par through her first nine holes. Coming back strong, she birdied hole one, and had back-to-back birdies on holes five and six to pull herself to her final 2-under-par tally.

Wallman said another junior, Kellye Belcher, had a great round right out of the gate in her first round with a 1-under 72, which put her in a tie for third.

Although Belcher slipped back with rounds of 77- and 78-over the next two days, respectively, she finished second for the Hoosiers and 26th overall.

Putting and short game were areas in which many competitors struggled, including Belcher and her teammates. Although Belcher said it was frustrating after practicing that aspect extensively in the week leading up to the tournament, she recognized IU is not there yet.

“It shows the team has a little more to go,” she said.

After seeing many familiar faces around the course, Wallman said he had a lot of fun watching the team play on such a great course.

“It was great to see everyone and play on a golf course in magnificent shape,” he said.

Next up the Hoosiers will travel to Madison, Wis., on Saturday and Sunday for the Badger Invitational, where IU captured the team title two years ago.