sports women's soccer

Kruger nets 2 goals on former team as Hoosiers are upset

Junior Liz Holby plays the ball during a game verses Butler on Thursday night at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU lost 2-1.

On Thursday night, Butler did something they have not done since the 1997 season – beat the IU women’s soccer team.

The Hoosiers (4-4) dropped back to .500 after being upset by the Bulldogs 2-1.

With the loss at home, the Hoosiers have already lost as many games at home this season, than they have in the last two years.

The Bulldogs dominated the Hoosiers most of the first half, and got on the board just five minutes into play.

Butler junior midfielder Molly Kruger, who played for these Hoosiers freshman year then transferred to UCLA her sophomore year, netted her third goal of the her junior season, now at Butler. The goal came off a cross from junior Kenzie Kokta that sailed over the head of Hoosier goalkeeper Lauren Hollandsworth.

The best two scoring opportunities for the Hoosiers came off long balls from junior Kristin Arnold. Arnold delivered a deep ball attended for leading goal scorer Liz Holby but the attempt was kicked out by the Bulldogs defense.

Later in the first half, Arnold played a long ball in from the corner flag which entered through the 6-yard box, but no Hoosier could put a shot on goal.

In the second half the Bulldogs once again wasted no time putting a ball in the back of the Hoosiers' net.

This time it took just over a minute for Kruger to score her second goal on the night. Kruger’s goal came on a blast from just over midfield that floated over Hollandsworth's head.

“We were in this situation last year being down 1-0 at half,” Arnold said. “I think when they came out and scored on us in the first two minutes it obviously but more pressure on us. I mean, the good thing was we still had 43 minutes left, but we just couldn’t get it done.”

Sophomore Jocelyn Moses put the Hoosiers on the board off a Holby assist. Holby took the ball down the left side of the field and crossed it into Moses who headed the ball into the back of the net, scoring her first goal of the season.

The Hoosiers had a few chances to send this game into overtime. One of the Hoosiers golden opportunities to tie the game came off a Chloe McKay’s shot on goal, after the ball bounced off the Butler goalkeeper Lauren Baker. Arnold then came charging in to take a shot but it was once again knocked away by Baker.

The Hoosiers are back in action at noon on Sunday to at Armstrong Stadium to take on Loyola (Chicago). Moses hopes they won’t make the same mistake they made tonight and look past their opponent.

“Hopefully we won’t underestimate our opponent and we’ll come out a lot harder and stronger,” she said.

For IU coach Mick Lyon he is hoping some of his players can pick up their concentration.

“We talked to them some during this week that they weren’t training at the same intensity level,” he said. "Early the season and preseason training was intense.

"Players were putting the right kind of intensity in to their training sessions. Now they kind of lolled their way to sleep, and it’s hard to break out of that. So talking to the players they need to make an impact on us coaches and bring that onto the pitch.”