From plaid country styles to skirts and bows, find your fall versatility

Gabrijel Gelic is a sophomore majoring in finance.

Fall is here and that means it’s time to bring out the plaids, tweeds and velvet. This season, country style is taking over the catwalks.

Velvet suits, plaid skirts and everything in between – country has never looked this chic before.

Just recently, I purchased a plaid button-up shirt, and I feel amazing in it – everyone else, however, thinks I’ve gone mad. But who cares, right?

If you’re thinking your wardrobe needs an update, check out the Bloomington boutiques and retail stores. Granted, you’re not going to find a Versace dress or even studded Gucci boots, but you can find items similar to them.

Urban Outfitters is great when it comes to plaid – I think their designers and buyers are plaid-happy, but it works.

Don’t worry, ladies. If you aren’t exactly in the mood to dress country, there are plenty of options for you. This fall has something for everyone, from a minimalist silhouette at Calvin Klein to a frilly, ruffled silhouette at Chloe.

Elegance without structure was Stefano Pilati’s latest inspiration for the Yves Saint Laurent fall collection.

Unfamiliar angles, tweeds, felts and flocked fabrics provided a futuristic feel at Yves Saint Laurent.

One critic called it “high-fashion clothing for real life.” At the same time, the collection was very simplistic; a belted sweater dress with a pair of sexy heels was the “it” look for this season.

Rock ’n’ roll boyish looks were all the rage at Gucci. Models wearing boots, chains, tailored pants and cropped jackets paraded down the runway. While it was all about the masculine side of things, the collection featured an array of delicate romantic blouses that IU women, I’m sure, would die for.

In contrast, Karl Lagerfeld’s fall collection had a very girlish feel to it. Jackets with above-the-knee skirts, bows and poofed skirts bounced on women as they sashayed down the runway.

Donatella Versace’s latest collection is a far cry from the house’s usual “sex-in-a-dress” feel. The collection was all about carefully structured pieces and ravishing volumes and shapes.

Versace even commissioned an artist to work on a photomontage of urban cityscapes, musclemen, dogs, Versace china and the house ad campaigns, and then made them into a collage on violent purple and yellow dresses.

Cropped jackets, frilly dresses, bows, blouses, high-waisted wide legged pants, cocktail-dresses – this season has seen it all. I am excited about the country look.
I’ve seen a few pieces that fit the minimalist scheme of things this fall, which is great, but what I haven’t been seeing a lot are clothes that have a unique design to them.
Pretty soon, we’re all going to start to look the same – yikes!

I think it would be great if the boutiques bought some pieces that resemble the Yves Saint Laurent and Alexander McQueen collections, and I’m sure you ladies wouldn’t mind seeing that happen either.

If you’re interested in learning more about the trends for fall, or if you want to visit the collections yourself, take a look at style.com.

As always IU, stay classy!