Campillo wins season opener, Hoosiers take 5th in Zionsville

Combating heavy winds from Hurricane Ike, the IU men’s golf team battled to a fifth-place finish at the Wolf Run Intercollegiate in Zionsville, Ind.

Although IU coach Mike Mayer said he was not thrilled with the way the Hoosiers played as a team overall, he was proud of the play of senior Jorge Campillo, who took top individual honors with a three-round total of 212 (70-70-72).

Despite that individual success, however, Mayer said that for his team to be successful on a national level, other players will have to step up and help Campillo.
“We are going to have to give him more support,” Mayer said.

Campillo said his task in winning the tournament was not easy.

“The course played very hard, and I had to be patient,” he said.

One surprise for the Hoosiers was the play of freshman David Erdy, who started the tournament in the five-spot for the team. Erdy ended up second for IU, finishing in a tie for 24th overall, with a three-round total of 226.

Erdy said he didn’t have the greatest summer in terms of golf but started to get better in the days leading up to his arrival in Bloomington.

“I was really confident, because I was playing good golf coming in,” Erdy said.
Mayer said he was not incredibly surprised by Erdy’s play, adding that he feels the new Hoosier has great talent and also showed courage and confidence in a tough situation this weekend.

Other Hoosiers competing were junior Alex Martin, who finished in a tie for 28th, and seniors Seth Brandon and Brandon Pike, who finished 40th and 62nd, respectively.
Senior Drew Allenspach also competed as an individual and finished 64th. Allenspach came back from a first-round score of 86 to shoot 79 and 78 in his next two rounds, respectively.

Next up for the Hoosiers is the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational at Olympia Fields in Chicago on Sept. 19-21.

Mayer said to prepare for their next tournament and other future tournaments, the teams need to work more on fundamentals.

“We are going to have to step it up a notch,” Mayer said. “We have a lot of work to do and a lot of time to do it.”