Navigating the IDS

If you’re navigating your way from Fee Lane to 10th Street for the first time or trying to determine the difference between the B bus and the C bus – they’re very different, trust me – we want to help.

But before we help you find your way through the city, the campus and the next four years, it might be helpful if we told you how to find your way through the Indiana Daily Student.

The oldest and most pervasive aspect of our product is the printed newspaper, which we deliver to more than 300 locations around the campus and the city every weekday during the fall and spring semesters and twice a week during the summer. You can look to that 141-year old product for daily stories, calendars, photos and columns about IU and Bloomington news, sports and events.

If you want your news faster or simply want something more interactive, log on to www.idsnews.com for breaking news and multimedia content. When news happens, we update the Web site right away and add the stories for the print edition later. Also, we’re breaking into blogs, video, polls, photo slideshows and podcasts – elements that couldn’t possibly go in a print edition.

Every Thursday, you’ll notice your IDS gets a little heavier. That’s because it contains WEEKEND, a weekly insert about the community’s culture and entertainment scene. Looking for something to do for fun? That’s the place to go.

Our newest member of the family is INside magazine, now in its third year. It prints twice a semester and contains some of our most in-depth, insightful journalism.
This semester, we’ll also publish four special sections. They’ll be your guides to fall sports, Homecoming week, the basketball season and the elections.

If you’re not new and you already know the Bloomington geography forward and backward, we hope you’re reading this because you remember us as a useful guide and trusted IU news source. So when you picked up the IDS today, you might have noticed it looks slightly different.

Our designers spent more than a week tweaking and cleaning up the paper. Their goal was to make it look cleaner, more readable and user-friendly. We’d love to hear your feedback on our new look, so whether you love it or hate it, let us know what you think by e-mailing me at editor@idsnews.com or calling the newsroom at 855-0760.

That doesn’t just apply to the redesign, of course. E-mail or call me anytime you have something to say about any aspect of the paper, or simply to tell us what you would like to see in any of our publications.

I hope to hear from you soon, and good luck finding 10th Street.