Bring on the fashion

Fashion is constantly changing. Each new season brings something new to the table, and it can be difficult to keep up with the demands of the fashion world. The fall 2008 collections have been no exception, featuring everything from a structured silhouette, as seen in the Yves Saint Laurent collection, to the more relaxed feeling seen at the Versace show. These eight trends have emerged as this fall’s most wanted:

1. Boots – Whether they are thigh-high boots, ankle boots or knee-highs does not matter. What matters is that you own a pair.

2. Statement jewelry – Mix bulky high-end and low-end pieces for that off-the-runway look.

3. The romantic blouse – The more fluff and puff, the better.

4. High-waisted, wide-leg pants–Pair this look with a simple top and a statement piece for a look that’s nothing less than elegant.

5. The sheath dress – A simple dress, possibly belted, is perfect for an afternoon stroll down Kirkwood Avenue.

6. Leather bomber jacket – For an optimal look, pair it with skinny jeans and pumps.

7. Fur – A fur-accented coat will glamorize any outfit.

8. Scarves – With many gloomy colors for fall, you can use a colorful Pucci scarf to bring color to any outfit – purple in particular, because it’s this season’s most popular color.

The great thing about this season is the versatility of it all – one day you could be wearing an architectural piece from the Balenciaga collection, and the next day you could be wearing a Chloe dress. Another key to looking great this fall is mixing and matching colors and patterns. A sheath, wild-print dress with dark cotton leggings and a leather bomber jacket screams runway-chic while still allowing you to have personality – which, to me, is the most important thing when it comes to style.

Don’t be afraid to be fashionable. Too often, we just stick to a pair of jeans and a T-shirt because we’re afraid of being judged and being made fun of. I don’t know about you, but I really don’t give a rat’s behind that Mary Jane over there thinks my outfit is ugly, especially if she is wearing a pair of jeans from 11 seasons ago and a T-shirt she undoubtedly stole from her mother’s closet. The fashion industry survives on those of us who take risks and who aren’t afraid to make mistakes.

I want IU to be the most fashionable campus in the state and in the country, for that matter, and, unfortunately, I can’t do it alone. As the fashion columnist for this year, I look forward to seeing lots of runway-chic on campus. Lastly, I’d love to hear from you, the reader. Tell me what you want to see discussed and what you think needs to be changed by e-mailing me at gelicg@indiana.edu. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you all very soon. Hope you had a fabulous summer, and let’s keep fashion alive here in Bloomington.