Department of Athletics hires 2 new staff members for created positions

IU Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan announced Tuesday that Chad Hawley and Jennifer Brinegar have been appointed to two newly created staff positions with the IU Athletic Department. \nHawley, a 1998 graduate of Appalachian State University, will step into the position of associate athletic director for Compliance Services at IU.\n“I’m very excited about being chosen to lead the intercollegiate athletics compliance operation at Indiana. It’s a great feeling to be joining the athletic staff at a university where a culture of compliance and a philosophy of ‘winning the right way’ is so well established,” Hawley said in a statement. “I have a lot of confidence in Rick Greenspan and the institutional leadership at IU, and look forward to working with them in the future.”\nHawley has plenty of experience working in compliance after he most recently served as Assistant Commissioner for Compliance with the Big Ten Conference. He has also held compliance positions with the Mid Continent Conference, Ivy League, North Carolina State and Appalachian State.\n“I’m very pleased that Chad will be joining us as a member of our senior management team,” Greenspan said in a statement. “He brings outstanding experience and knowledge of both the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA to our department, and has very strong communication skills. Chad will provide leadership and guidance in many areas for us, and will positively impact both the coaches and student-athletes that he will serve.”\nBrinegar, who has 12 years of experience in compliance at IU, will assume the new position of Senior Assistant Athletic Director for Recruiting and Enrollment Services. \n“I am very excited about this opportunity, and I will work very hard to help our coaches with their on-campus recruiting efforts,” Brinegar said in a statement.\nAccording to www.iuhoosiers.com, Brinegar will “manage all aspects of the on-campus recruiting program for the athletic department, including direction of official and unofficial visit processes for prospective student-athletes, development of recruiting materials, oversight of initial eligibility certification and will coordinate summer orientation programming for incoming student-athletes.”\nA standout swimmer for IU as an undergraduate, during which time she won seven individual Big Ten Championships, Brinegar also graduated from Vanderbilt Law School. \n“Jennifer’s many years of experience and dedicated service to IU will enable her to be a great asset right away in our recruiting effort,” Greenspan said in a statement. “Her compliance background provides her with an excellent perspective on the NCAA’s complex rules in the area of recruiting, which will enable her to effectively advise coaches as they attempt to attract quality student-athletes. Her presence in this position immediately makes our total athletic program stronger.”