Campillo competes in British Amateur Championship

IU golfer advances to the quarterfinals in prestigious tournament

U golfer Jorge Campillo tees off over rocks and water at Ailsa Golf Course during the 2008 British Amateur Championships in Turnberry, Scotland. Campillo followed up his second place finish at the NCAA Championships by tying nine other players at five over par, the seventh highest score, at one of Europe's top amateur events.

This summer Jorge Campillo will have the opportunity to travel thousands of miles, playing on golf courses around the world.\nJune 21, Campillo completed competition in the British Amateur Championship in Scotland, where the native of Spain reached the quarterfinals with his 15-place finish out of 288 golfers in the stroke play portion of the event. \nAlthough he finished in the top 15, Campillo was not pleased with his performance in the tournament. \n“I was frustrated and disappointed, especially because I didn’t play good at all in that round,” he said in an e-mail. \nAfter rounds of 73 and 74 in the stroke play portion of the tournament Campillo advanced to the 64-player match play tournament and won three matches, which gave him a total finish in the final eight. \nPart of Campillo’s frustration comes from the fact that he has lost in the quarterfinals for two consecutive years. Even though he didn’t do as well as he would have liked, his coach, IU coach Mike Mayer focused on the positives of what happened.\n“Making the quarterfinals was a great achievement,” Mayer said.\nMayer also said that for Jorge to play in what the coach called one of the most prestigious tournaments in the country was a great experience for him. \nCampillo finished his best season of collegiate golf this year as he tied for second at the NCAA Championships in West Lafayette, Ind., last month. In doing so, Campillo also tied for the best finish in school history with Wayne McDonald, who tied for second at the 1969 NCAA Championships.\nCampillo said placing so well at NCAA’s gave him confidence for future golf tournaments, but he is extremely motivated to keep practicing and getting better.\nMayer has recognized this determination in his best player, and is excited to see what he can do this summer.\n“He is not at the level he wants to be at yet, but he is working hard to get there,” he said. Campillo will have plenty more chances to play with top notch golfers from around the world as he has a full summer schedule lined up. Campillo will stay in Scotland where he will compete in the Palmer Cup on June 26-27. The tournament pits the top collegiate golfers from the United States against the best of Europe. Campillo will compete for the European team.\nCampillo will leave Scotland and travel directly to Italy for the European men’s team championship. Other tournaments this summer for him include the Biarritz Cup in France, the Spanish Amateur in Spain and the European Amateur in Denmark.\nMany of Campillo’s teammates will also be playing in tournaments both in the United States and overseas this summer.\nMayer believes that all of these experiences will be valuable to his players, and that Campillo will enjoy playing with some of the best golfers in the world this summer.\n“Jorge has always aspired to play at the highest level,” Mayer said.